Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes




I think I've mentioned this before, but breakfast isn't my favorite meal. I don't think it's 'the most important meal of the day', because dinner always takes the cake for me! Literally though, at dinnertime, you get to sit around the table with the ones you love, share a meal together, discuss the day, and there's always dessert! ;)

But when I do make breakfast, I like to do it good. Like my Berry French Toast and Sticky Cinnamon Rolls, I indulge a little if I'm going to feed our bellies on the weekend. For the record, weekday breakfasts do still happen! Our standards are a poached egg on toast, quick veggie omelette, or steel cut oats with fruit.

This weekend I was in the mood for light fluffy healthier pancakes. I had whole wheat flour from baking bread (hope to do a recipe here soon on sourdough!) and thought to make them a little heartier and healthy with that. So here's my take on pancakes! They've got a Megan-y twist with whole wheat, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, and cinnamon. If you don't have yogurt, milk should still do the trick. You can also use white sugar too, I just like the slight caramel-y flavor brown sugar has. The pancakes should turn out nice and fluffy and not too sweet, with a hint of tartness from the yogurt :)










Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes
Serves 2 hungry eaters, 4 normal eaters (makes about 8 fluffy pancakes)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking soda
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 Tbsp oil (I used veggie oil, but coconut oil would be good too!)
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup water

Steps
Mix the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl (all your dry components). Make a well in the middle and crack in your eggs, then add vanilla, yogurt, oil, and water. Whisk wet ingredients with the dry until your batter is thick but still fluid - almost like the texture of a standard cake batter.

Turn your skillet on low-medium heat. Add a drizzle (Tbsp maybe?) of oil to the pan and let it heat for 15 seconds. Scoop 1/2 cup of batter into the pan. I was able to cram 3 pancakes into my pan with just enough wiggle room to flip. Let them cook till the edges start to turn up lightly and bubbles form on top, maybe 4 minutes. Then FLIP! Then cook another 2-3 minutes till bottoms are light golden brown too. Repeat till you're out of batter!

Pro tip: I stack my pancakes on top of each other and cover with a clean dish towel while they wait for the others to cook. That way they stay nice and warm.

Now comes the fun part. Top pancakes with your favorite toppings, whether fresh fruit, maple syrup, agave syrup, whipped cream, even chocolate chips! Since it's nearing the end of winter, we don't have too much fresh fruit on hand, so I used my favorite Frog Hollow Farm Peach Conserve (thanks Alice for the bday gift!) and a little maple syrup for that classic sweetness. I always love sliced banana and fresh peanut butter spread on top too.

Hope you enjoy these fluffy starts to your day. Happy breakfasting!



Comments